9 Stages of the Fall Semester in College
9 Stages of the Fall Semester in College:
- The Anticipation. Those last few days before move-in day are always the longest days of the summer. You’ve been bored (or working) all summer, and now its finally time to get back to your friends. You start looking at all of the pictures from last semester. You start calling everybody, making sure you are all coming on the same day. You’ve packed your car. You are counting down the days until you make your return on campus.
2. Welcome Back Week. So you’ve finally made it back to campus. You’re all moved in, all of your friends are there, and it is now the first week of school. For most schools, there is a Welcome Back Week. This is a week of events, back-to-school parties, meet & greets, and everything else you’ve been missing. This is also the week where the financial aid offices are packed. Be sure to complete your registration early to avoid the lines.
3. Football Season. If your school is anything like mine, this is a BIG deal. It is finally football season! Saturday night lights. Get ready to put on your school t-shirt, grab your pom-poms, and cheer on your team with the rest of the student section.
4. Mid-Terms. This is where it starts to get serious. As soon as you get comfortable, mid-term time rolls around. The library is packed full of people trying to study all of the information they have received since the first day of school. The campus is quiet. This is when its time to get in the zone and commit to being a college student.
5. Homecoming! This will be the best week of the fall semester, if not the entire school year! It is a full week of events, parties, and everything you can think of. The campus will be packed! Everyone comes for homecoming. There will be something to do every second of every day. Your classes will be emptier (but go to class anyway) and the parties will be fuller. Be Careful!
6. Thanksgiving Break. By November, you will need this break. You have one week of not worrying about classes or deadlines. You can wash clothes for free, see your family, eat good food, and relax. Don’t be fooled, though, after the first few days you will be ready to go back to campus.
7. Back To School. By the time you have went back to school from your break, you have received your mid-term grades. You know exactly where you stand, what you need to do, and which classes to study harder in. This first week back, most students take the time to get back into the flow of things. After all, you just spent an entire week doing nothing.
8. Grind Time. Now that you’re back into college mode, it is grind time. Finals are right around the corner. Most students are working to pull their grades up, or to keep them up. Either way, this is one of the most important times of the semester. You can not afford to slack during grind time.
9. Finals Week. This is literally the last week of the semester. All I can say is good luck!
Ebony Thomas7 Posts
Ebony Thomas is a southern belle from Gulfport, Mississippi. She is a full-time student at Alcorn State University, where she is pursuing a degree in Business Administration.