Get Rid Of That Toxic Friendship
People always say “true friends are hard to come by,” but O. Henry once said, “No friendship is an accident.” This may all be true, but they can however. become toxic. Yes, toxic, it can be your home girl you’ve known for years or your homegirl you met freshman year in college. No friendship is perfect and you’re not going to always get along, but don’t allow a draining toxic friend to drag you down. The New Year is approaching, so it’s time to clean house. Don’t bring those negative “debbie-downers” into the New Year for a repeat.
3 signs your friend is toxic
1. They don’t support you or your dreams.
– Those friends who always think it’s a competition, yes they’re toxic. You aspire to be a make up artist and you’re great at it. You haven’t made it big time yet, but you’ve snagged a couple of socialites. However, your “friend” chooses to get her make up done at MAC or the nearest Sephora. How supportive!!
2. They take no responsibilities for their actions.
– Anytime the two of you disagree you’re the one left apologizing and it’s all your fault. They basically play the victim and get defensive.
3. They’re needy.
– Don’t get me wrong friends are supposed to be there in each other’s time of need, but if you’re starting to feel like a crutch watch out. Also, if they always want to be around you, make you pick between them and others and get jealous of your other friendships that’s a sign too.
I totally get that you can’t just throw away your life long friendships and trust me I don’t expect you to. That’s when you need to make a decision if the friend is really toxic or have y’all just been spending too much time together lately. You can have a talk to see what’s going on. Maybe take a step back and see how things go from there. Maybe they aren’t self-aware of their actions and how it makes them look or worse how it makes you feel. If nothing seems to change and they keep over stepping boundaries, being controlling and manipulative then put an end to it. You deserve a fresh start for the New Year and most importantly some peace.
Miranda Brown36 Posts
My name is Miranda Brown. I am a proud Alumna of Tennessee State University class of 2016. I am from Franklin, TN a small town right outside of Nashville. I am very much so an introvert, but I do tend to sometimes come out of my shell as I'm known as the extra-dramatic friend. I love writing and blogging even more. My favorite quote is, "reality is wrong. dreams are real" - Tupac. I'm all about being positive and spreading good vibes.