National Call to Action to #PreserveHBCUs Happening Now – Do Your Part!
Calling all current HBCU students, past students, supporters cousins and friends.
Let’s all join the UNCF during National HBCU Week in a National Call to Action to #PreserveHBCUs!
UNCF needs us to email or tweet their Senators and ask them to fund the Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) Historic Preservation Program – a federal grant program that could help save over 700 historic properties on HBCU campuses. The House-passed FY 2017 Interior-Environment Appropriations Bill (H.R. 5538) would provide $5 million in annual federal funding for HBCU Historic Preservation Program if enacted before the end of the year. However, there currently is support for the HBCU Historic Preservation Program only in the House. We need your Senators to agree to include no less than $5 million appropriation in the final bill.
[Tweet “Take action by urging your Senators to #PreserveHBCUs by funding the HBCU Historic Preservation Program—TODAY!”]
If you @CampusLATELY we will retweet, repost or add your information to this article it’s time to get to work!!!
Here are 3 easy ways you can help #PreserveHBCUs!
EMAIL YOUR SENATORS
Use this link to view our letter which you can personalize and send directly to both of your U.S. Senators. Enter your zip code here: http://bit.ly/2bWsFUo
Post pictures on social media of an historic building on your HBCU campus that needs restoration. Be creative! Use hashtag: #PreserveHBCUs and tag @UNCF & @Campuslately
SPREAD THE WORD
Tell your friends! Copy and paste these sample messages and attach our graphic or use your own.
- FACEBOOK: Today’s #PreserveHBCUs Day! Join me in telling Congress to provide at least $5 million for the HBCU Historic Preservation Program. HBCUs educate, empower and excel; yet in 1998 they were listed among 11 endangered historic places. Email your Senators today: https://goo.gl/qcHIZW
- TWITTER: Today’s #PreserveHBCUs Day! Tell Congress: #PreserveHBCUs, fund HBCU Historic Preservation Program @ $5+ million https://goo.gl/qcHIZW
- LINKEDIN: Today’s #PreserveHBCUs Day! Join me in telling Congress to appropriate no less than $5 million for the HBCU Historic Preservation Program. HBCUs educate, empower and excel; yet in 1998 they were listed among 11 endangered historic places. Email your Senators today: https://goo.gl/qcHIZW
- INSTAGRAM: Today’s #PreserveHBCUs Day! HBCUs educate, empower and excel; yet in 1998 they were listed among 11 endangered historic places.
- Just 59 HBCUs in 20 states have received only $60 million in federal funding through the HBCU Historic Preservation Program.
- HBCUs were designated as one of the nation’s 11 most endangered historic sites by the National Trust for Historic Places.
- A 1998 government study estimated $755 million was needed to restore 712 historic properties on HBCU campuses, that amount would be over $1 billion in today’s dollars.
LEARN MORE: UNCF.org/PreserveHBCUs
La'Shawn Chambers308 Posts
Part Owner of CampusLATELY/ blogger contributor. A graduate of Prairie View A&M University and proud member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc.